These creepy cupcakes are the perfect snack for a Halloween Party or just for enjoying while lazing on the couch in your pjs watching a horror movie. Depends on what type of person you are (I happen to be the latter).
For a really Halloween-y look, I suggest dying the batter orange or green, which would look awesome with dark chocolate chips. I had planned to do this, however I realised halfway through the process that I had no orange food colouring. As you can see from the photo below and the batter’s greyish corpse-like colour , my dye-it-purple-instead backup plan failed miserably. That being said, they still tasted delicious!
- 175g self-raising flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 100g chocolate chips￼
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- food colouring (optional)
- Fondant icing and melted chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180’C / 350’F.
- Beat butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Beat in eggs and flour.
- Add vanilla essence, chocolate chips and food colouring.
- Mix well and spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake for 15-20 min and leave to cool.
- Decorate with skulls, monsters, spiders and cobwebs using fondant icing and melted chocolate.